Thursday, August 1, 2013

We Cannot Afford to Make a Name for Ourselves

ZOE International is an amazing organization. They are an Evangelical based organization and have completed a huge home (Safe house Shelter) for orphans in Thailand. This was an interesting experience. When I saw all of what Zoe had done, and the enormous safe house (75 children) they had built and heard all the wonderful stories about the donors that just came along and provided, I felt uneasy and slightly jealous...okay maybe very jealous. I felt like, "Man this is not fair this was my vision, God gave this to me." Isn't it amazing how quickly self can rise to the surface. After a long talk with a really good friend of mine, I call her my Paul, although she doesn't know that, she helped me to realize that the work that they (Zoe) are doing, though it mirrors exactly what God has placed on your heart to do should serve as affirmation for this call to ministry. She also said to me "Shantel the work is so great, too great, that we cannot afford to make a name for ourselves." When I spoke with Carol the founder of the home and organization she said to me, "I am so glad you have decided to do this work, there is so much room for help. If all of us, took in all the orphans who have been abused, trafficked or abandoned there would never be enough beds." She then gave me her card and asked me to keep in touch.

I thank God for the rebuke. I thank Holy Spirit that he attacks my pride, vanity and self glory. That he did not allow these things to go unchecked in my heart, but that He is continually searching me and reading my heart. God sees us as we are and he gently reminds us that it is not about us - at all. I am not a superhero. All the courage and strength you see comes from remaining in HIM. The Stoplight project could never have gotten to where it is now if it was just me. If it was just an idea. GOD gave the vision. Gad gave the growth. And it was the help of an awesome team that has helped to bring it to fruition. 

Previously the Stoplight Project had two primary goals : 1. Create awareness in the SDA church about sex trafficking. 2. Build a Safe home/ Shelter for women and children who have been exploited abused and sex trafficked. 
I now establish a third.....
 3. Build bridges with other Christian organizations, with shared vision, so as to complete this work together as the Whole Body of Christ.



5 comments:

  1. inspiring. you are a pioneer in spirit and truth. breaking new ground in service for the abused. you are in my heart and prayers. God is doing a great work through you. love n blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man. This hits close to home for me.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salt and light, Shantel. Salt and light. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God bless as you allow Him to work through you. Will keep you in prayer.

    ReplyDelete